is a technology company on a mission to build the world’s first entertainment super app – combining videos, social, games, and shopping in a delightfully gamified, thoroughly enjoyable single app experience. We do this today for the same reason we began with on day one: to turn the magical, uplifting experience of Surprise into a daily, weekly, and monthly life event – because it makes people happy.
What we are doing has never been done before, and like any innovator, we face challenges on a daily basis that require top minds in their fields to break through. So, we have been steadily building an international team defined by courageous ideation, relentless drive for impact, and meritocratic leadership. We are asking you now to envision yourself as a valued member of our winning team, on this inspiring mission.
Mobile feature development pods are the key building blocks of the Surprise R&D division. We are looking for an Engineering Manager with great product sense to join and lead our E-commerce pod, an amazing team of engineers, as we scale for continued growth.You will develop a vision for your pod, and help generate an engineering roadmap to deliver on multiple product and engineering initiatives. You will exemplify the Surprise leadership principles, and formulate strong partnerships throughout the company at all levels.
You have a deep systems background and value technical excellence, and use that to guide the team towards well-engineered and durable solutions. While you aren’t expected to spend a large percentage of time coding, you are expected to be able to evaluate and raise the technical bar, and help others attain it. You will play a part in engineering, design reviews, code reviews, and will contribute to the code base directly when needed. You lead by example rather than authority.
Any room that you enter should have more certainty and a firmer plan by the time that you leave it. You may walk into a situation where people have lost track of their goals and after your involvement, you get everyone aligned on a clear path forward. You remove unimportant details, distill complex situations to their essence, and get the right decision-maker to make a call – even if it’s not you.
- Managing a top performing team of engineers, a group focused on creating highly engaging gamified social experiences;
- Leading a team of 8-10 engineers and accelerating their growth by providing thoughtful feedback, technical mentorship, and effectively manage performance;
- Working hands-on with your team and stakeholders to enable rapid delivery of features and technical solutions that make a positive user impact;
- Being technically involved and engaging in substantive discussion when reviewing technical roadmaps and project implementation with the team;
- Fostering a non-hierarchical exchange of ideas; valuing the idea rather than the individual who communicates it.
- 5+ years in a software engineering role, at least 2 years of leadership experience;
- Experience leading complex, cross-team engineering efforts, including analysis of requirements and scoping, and knowing what it takes to deliver high-quality software;
- Deep, hands-on knowledge of native technology, swift motility as well as backend systems, Java systems architecture;
- Demonstrated ability to run a fast-paced mobile-first product development team, with peers and teammates across multiple locations and timezones, and react effectively to changes in global prioritization;
- Willingness and enthusiasm to do what it takes to get things done, leading by example and getting involved with the team’s day-to-day work;
- Exceptional communication skills and can clearly convey messages in English (written and oral);
- A focus on rapid impact and an ability to articulate the value your work provides.
- Work on interesting and challenging projects, while building a pioneering software category;
- Great atmosphere, with the vibe and energy of a high-growth tech company;
- Ultramodern offices in the heart of Warsaw;
- Coffee, tea, snacks, and fresh fruit/vegetables;
- Competitive salary and equity;
- Health Benefit Package (LuxMed);
- 20 Paid Time Off days, Public Holidays of Poland;
- An immersive English-speaking work environment (we have a lot of native speakers at the office);
- Close collaboration between international team members;
- Corporate activities and parties;
- And, of course, we use Surprise internally!